enroll now steps to get your driver's license student login

If you see a school bus with its red lights flashing, you must stop your vehicle and not proceed until the lights stop flashing. If you ignore the flashing lights you will face a steep fine and will receive a 2 point count on your driving record.

Provisional Permit Requirements

If you are between 15 ½ and 17 ½ years old, you are able to take driver education to get your permit!


Complete a DMV approved 30 hour driver education course either in a classroom or online. Once you’ve completed the driver education course, you will need to go to the DMV to take your written exam.


Fill out the DMV application form (DL 44) be sure to include,

  • Parents’ signature
  • Your social security number
  • Full name
  • Date of birth
You must also
  • Provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence document.
  • Submit the proper driver education/training forms
  • Give a fingerprint
  • Pay the required application fee.
    • This fee is good for 12 months and allows you to take the appropriate law test(s) three times, if needed, within the 12-month period. This fee pays for both the instruction permit and driver license, if you qualify for both within that time period. The fee must be paid when you apply for any new or change of class permit or license. It will not be returned. If the application expires, you must start again. This means resubmitting documents, paying the application fee, and taking the required tests.
  • Pass your traffic laws and sign test.
    • You must get 38 questions correct out of the 46 questions on the test.
    • You can take the written exam up to 3 times. If you do not pass it on the third try, you must wait a minimum of 7 days before you are able to take it again.
  • Pass your vision exam
  • Get your picture taken

Your provisional permit will be issued upon successful completion of the written exam.


You are now eligible to get behind the wheel and start training! Make sure that you look for a California DMV Approved driver training school. You must take 6 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction before you can begin driving with your parent/guardian. Your driver education teacher will sign your permit making it legal for you to drive.


If you are between 151/2 and 171/2 you must provide proof that you:

  • Completed driver education (DL 400B or DL 400C ). Your driving instructor will give you the forms to show proof of completion.
  • Completed driver education and driver training (DL 400B, DL 388, DL 388A, OL 237, or OL 238).
  • Are enrolled and participating in an approved integrated driver education/driver training program (DL 400).

If you are at least 17 1/2, you may obtain a permit without driver education or driver training. However to get a license, you must bring proof that you have completed driver education and driver training or wait until you are 18 years old.

If you want a permit to drive mopeds or motorcycles, you must be at least 15 1/2 and bring proof that you have completed driver education and driver training.

NOTE: The provisional permit is not valid until you start your behind-the-wheel driver training with an instructor or reach age 17 1/2.

Provisional Permit Restrictions

You may use your provisional instruction permit to practice with a parent, guardian, licensed driver 25 years of age or older, or a licensed or certified driving instructor. The person must have a valid driver license in his/her possession and must sit close enough to take control of the vehicle at any time. A provisional instruction permit does not let you drive alone not even to a DMV office to take the driving test.

If you have an instruction permit that allows you to drive mopeds or motorcycles (or any 2-wheel vehicle), you:

  • Cannot carry passengers.
  • Must ride during daylight only.
  • Cannot ride on any freeway.